The Digestive System
Click here for 8 superb downloadable human body system pictures!
- The digestive system works to physically and chemically break down food.
- Food and fluids are processed by the digestive organs so that nutrients can be absorbed from the intestines and circulated around the body.
- The digestive process is mostly completed when food reaches the end of the small intestine.
- The digestive organs include the mouth, pharynx, oesophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, rectum and anus.
- These organs together form a food-processing pipe that is 30 foot long!
- Salivary glands, the pancreas, the liver and the gallbladder also play an important role in digestion.
- The appendix, a short, blind ended tube attached to the large intestine has no known function.
- Food is moved through the digestive tract by muscular contractions.